[VB] [T2] 2nd Gear Problems

Erik Burtis ewdb92 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 05:52:48 PDT 2017

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Kevin Guarnotta <kevin at guarnottadesign.com>
wrote:
6.  Also noticed while poking around - part number 211 711 115a is split
down the side. I think this is called a nosecone boot? Only appears to be
available from Europe. Trying to figure out shipping costs - but it looks
like shipping is almost $60 for an $8 part. I may RTV the split boot, then
reinstall.
  7.  I will replace rear coupler cage piece bushings, but it is
recommended to re-use original cage. The original cage appears to be in
great condition. It was super greasy/dirty. When I replace this - should it
be slathered in grease or left dry?

6 - I have a 71 and am not sure if this part is the equivalent for you
(from the link, I'd say no) but I replaced this on my trans only to watch
it crack within a year.  RTV sounds like a good solution short of
contacting Busted Bus or BusCo to see if they have a good OG one
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211301289A

7 - I've used a dab of grease where the shift rod connects to the cage, but
don't think it is necessary (the rod should be locked in with the sq.
headed bolt limiting movement).  Make sure you get a retaining wire through
the hole in the bolt to keep everything secure (assuming it is the same for
you as my 71).  The bushing and rest of the cage should be dry.  I would
think any grease added would attract dirt which increases wear.

Erik