[VB] Brake shoes

c.dreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Mon May 15 16:54:14 PDT 2017

Hey List,
I just replaced the brake shoes on my bus. Reason was that the old ones
just didn't seem to stop as well as I thought they should. They look to
be a semi-metalic composition. The new shoes are the same.
I honed out all the wheel cylinders and also disassembled the master
cylinder, cleaned and reassembled. I replaced the right rear drum with
another that had been turned. I did a clean up on the left rear drum.
Front drums were already at max diameter so I sanded those to remove the
glaze. I also filled and flushed the system with fresh DOT4 fluid.

The stopping power does not seem to be improved with the new shoes. Also
the parking brake really needs a hard pull to keep the bus from rolling
down my driveway. Not much friction being generated.

In my quest I looked through my junk pile and found a set of front shoes
that are an asbestos grey and almost unused. Composition unknown.

What type of brake shoes works best in our buses?
What are all you folks using out there?

Thanks,