[VB] Good News

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Mon Aug 21 09:18:34 PDT 2017

Ok - trying to start it - won't go. Will start with starting fluid, back to a fuel issue. Maybe fuel pump is failing. Either I can replace fuel pump. Or go with an electric fuel pump - and a block off plate?

I have a fuel pressure tester - but don't have the doohickey to attach it inline with the 5 mm fuel line. I wonder if they sell these individually at my FLAPS. I'm looking for the T shape fitting - with a threaded fitting to attach my fuel pressure tester. It looks like it is called a dual manifold test adaptor. I think my kit came with one - but I left it installed on another FI car, so I could easily test the fuel pressure on it.

NO WAIT -
I forgot, my mechanic probably did a bit of test driving, and I forgot to account for that in my fuel calculation. I think I'm just stupidly out of fuel!!!!

My gas gauge acts a little wonky sometimes, never been able to figure it out. When full it only reads ¾ full. So when it was reading low - I thought I still had ¼ tank left. But I had only put in 4 gallons of new fuel, and with all the idling, driving, mechanic test driving...I hope that is my new problem. I filled it with fuel, and think I'm good to go.

I've just got to either rebuild my distributor, or get a new one or both. One quote for re-building was not much different from buying a new one with pertronix installed.

Give me a couple days driving with this and I'll  let you know how it goes. Thanks for being a sounding board, providing tests, and a methodology for solving the problem. Hard to stay focused on this with two little kids running around...and life, and work....

Anyway, I think and hope I am good to go. Next stop - what upgrades will I do for my ride? CHT gauge, disc brakes...

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab