[VB] Good NEws

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Tue Aug 15 12:05:26 PDT 2017

I took the carb off again. I took out every piece of it I could, and washed it off. The Carb is a Solex H30/31 PICT. I have a singleport 1600 motor.

The choke butterfly did not seem to rotate as smoothly as Ithought it should I took the shaft out, and polished it with 1000 grit wet/dry paper.
I checked the float - it moves smoothly.
I replaced the Vacuum Diaphragm. The one there looked ok, but I had a kit with replacement parts - and figured I'd try it out.
I pulled the main jet, pilot jet, bypass screw, idle jet power jet, sprayed them down with carb cleaner, blew air through them, replaced them.

Ok - that was LONG drive around the block. After doing what I list above, I took it for a drive around the block. Got about ½ way around the block, - thought it was running great, but started stalling again. It got so bad, I had to pull over and drive the last ½ mile in 20 yard increments.

Whenever it stalls I go look and the fuel filters are full of fuel - this makes me think I don't have a fuel problem.  Maybe my fuel pump has gone bad. What is a simple way to test this - do I need a fuel pressure gauge? This isn't fuel injection, so the thing must run at very low fuel pressure. I would think if the pump is bad - it wouldn't run well for a bit, then stall.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab