[VB] vintagebus Digest, Vol 33, Issue 4

Rusty May rusty.may at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 17:17:48 PDT 2016

Chris,

The carb is a 30 PICT-1.  Definitely checked the fuel line going through
the firewall sheet metal.  The original grommet is long gone, so years ago
I wrapped some rubber fuel line around the metal line where it goes through
the hole, and secured it with a couple of hose clamps.  So far it seems to
be holding up okay, and there's no sign that the sheet metal is cutting
through the rubber protector.  But thanks for bringing that up - definitely
don't want an engine fire.

Didn't see any obvious leaks in the hoses, but when I put everything back
together, I'll put some UV dye in the tank and see if any hoses light up
under UV.

Interesting that you mention the dizzy vacuum line.  Last year, I replaced
a 009 with vacuum advance dizzy, but didn't have the stock vacuum line, so
I used some rubber fuel line instead.  I forgot to loop the fuel line so
that part of it is higher than the vacuum port on the carb.  So some time
later,  the engine wasn't running well, and a timing light showed that the
dizzy wasn't advancing at higher RPM.  Turned out that some gas had run
down the vacuum line and filled the biscuit on the dizzy.  After cleaning
it out, I made sure to put a loop in the vacuum line.  I checked that last
week, but didn't see any gas in the biscuit.

Someone pmailed and suggested that I check the float in the carb.  If it's
not sealing the float valve all the way (maybe a hole in the float), it
could be leaking gas into the intake manifold.  Maybe that's consistent
with the gas in the vacuum line.  Anyway, I think that's the next thing
I'll look at (along with checking the sender seal).

Thanks for the suggestions,
Rusty