[VB] Fuel reserve switch

Kevin Guarnotta kguarnotta at usa.net
Thu Oct 17 09:53:29 MST 2013

Well I am pulling the petcock on my bus. I took off the fuel line at the
fuel pump, and a tiny bit of fuel trickled out. I left it about 15 minutes,
and not much came out. I figures I must be pretty low on fuel. I then went
in behind the firewall, disconnected the hose to the metal line that goes
through the firewall. I put this hose into a jerry can. It seemed to be
trickling out slowly. I left it for about ten minutes, as it was trickling
out so slowly - I figured there can't be much left. I came back, and gas was
all over the ground. I quickly changed jerry cans, and have since filled a
second one, and am on the 3rd. (so 3 gallons out at this point, with one
jerry can being a 1 gallon, and the other a 2 gallon).

I plan on pulling the reserve switch thing from the bottom of the tank. I
remember Eric & Barb recommending some minor modification to this switch,
and I can't recall if I did it. I now can't find their post - and the
archives are unreachable? Anyone remember what they said, or how I could
find that post? I think they said something about cutting the little pipes a
bit shorter than they come, to make sure you are getting all the fuel out of
the tank?

-Kevin Guarnotta

Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy