[VB] [T2] Diagnosing bad fuel pump

Kevin Guarnotta kguarnotta at usa.net
Fri Oct 11 04:53:57 MST 2013

Hey Ned,

I assume you mean the filter on the fuel tank? The fuel tank is not the
original, I replaced it back in 2006, that is when I added the reserve
switch.

I can't recall how I put the petcock on, but I'm sure I did it when the tank
was out of the bus. How hard is it to pull that reserve fuel switch with the
tank in the car? Any tips on draining the tank? I think it is mostly full,
and when I reinstall will I need any parts? I.e. is there a gasket that will
need to be replaced when I pull that reserve switch/filter?

I'll replace the filter between the carb and the fuel pump. It looks clean
to me, it is one of those clear ones.

Thanks for the tips.

-Kevin Guarnotta

Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy

'69 Singlecab

'65 Ez-camper

From: Ned Savoie [mailto:ned at harbourlight.com]
Subject: Re: [T2] Diagnosing bad fuel pump

Hey Kevin,

Symptoms sound to me like crap in the tank and/or filter. Have you tried
taking out the filter and breaking it open to see what's inside? I had the
same problems and it was flakes of rust.