[VB] diagnosing bad fuel pump?

Kevin Guarnotta kguarnotta at usa.net
Tue Oct 8 16:19:56 MST 2013

Well to respond to a couple other suggestions made -

I'll try to check needle & float. Although, what should I look for. As the
bus works fine a lot of the time, and the issue is intermittent, I'm
thinking the float and needle would probably look ok to my untrained eye?

Ignition coil failure - not sure exactly how to test this, as the bus runs
fine sometimes, and not others. The other day while driving, it acted like
it had no power at all, then stalled, then after struggling to re-start it,
it started again, and ran fine with no symptoms. The bus didn't really have
time to cool down, so I don't think it is a heat related problem.

I do run points, so maybe bad condenser? Is that something that could
intermittently cause problems? How to test it?

I do run a really long fuel line from gas tank to fuel pump, so if I ever
have to pull engine, I've got a long hose, and much easier to plug fuel
line. Actually I also put a shut off on the petcock on the gas tank. Could
any of these items cause this problem? I'm wondering if the long fuel line
is causing problems?

I've read about the incorrect fuel pump rod length. Is this an either works
or doesn't thing? Ie I've cruised on the highway and around town before
during and after this problem rears its ugly head.

I'll check fuel filters too.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

-Kevin Guarnotta

Jamaica Plain, MA