[VB] CA Emissions requirements

John Anderson wvukidsdoc at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 13:01:59 MST 2013

Can somebody who lives there and is versed in the ways of classic cars give me a quick rundown (or point to a concise www) giving me the rules year to year.

We may be looking to move to the gold country (San Andreas, Angels Camp, Murphys area) and I'm wondering how this will impact the "fleet" as to what I might be better off selling.  The vehicles by ascending years at present would be:

'66 Triumph TR4A, still has stock carbs, and stock PCV system, but certainly wouldn't meet any sort of emissions at present (tired engine and mostly the carbs), visual is OK.  It actually was a 1 owner CA car, but hasn't been there in 15 years or more, does that matter in registering it?

'69 Single Cab, has a 1600 DP in it, again not the best engine, blowby, needs rebuilt (which I'm gathering parts for planning a 1776), wouldn't likely meet anything it had to but I presume both of these are in the clear by age?

'77 and '78 Sciroccos, neither at all stock, the '77 has a 1600 turbo diesel in it out of like a mid 80's Jetta, the '78 is a non-operable project, which I have a overbored 2.0 3A out of a 91ish Audi slated for, with Euro 16V injection parts.  It predates catalytic converter (at least 49 state wise), and will look mostly stock once completed, excepting a Techtonics exhaust, all the parts are the same in appearance, just not exactly the same in detail.  It probably will meet whatever the 49 state emissions requirements were when done for the age of the car ('78), but not the age of the engine ('91) without a cat.  For these, if they do have to meet something at this age, how do the swaps factor in, and how does non-operable figure, do I just not bother to title them until I'm ready, does anyone care if they are sitting in a pole barn minding their own business.  I've never actually even retitled the '78 from the original Ohio owner.

'77 Westy, solid engine, would likely meet emissions though I don't have an EGR or a stock exhaust on it or for it.  Would a 1 piece ANSA style exhaust be OK if I track down an EGR if it has to meet emissions?  Would it (and the Sciroccos I guess thinking now) have to meet CA emissions for the year, and when the heck did the 2.0 T4 go to separate CA emissions anyway, just for '79 or was it earlier?

That is it for the moment, aside for modern things all post '97, some other things sitting still in WV, but they are a ways off.  Anyone that can comment (pmail is fine) would be appreciated.

TIA
John