[T2] upgrade to disc brakes

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Wed May 19 10:36:34 PDT 2021

jack,

what kit is he planning to use for the rear? fronts are plentiful (but you
do need to decide early on if you're going 14" wheels or not...).   rears
are significantly less common.

is he going to stay wide 5, or go 5x130 or 5x112 or...something else?

I'd 100% recommend doing front, and rear if you can, but I've grown to hate
the shitty wheel cyls failing and brake adjustments... ;)     it's a big
chunk of change, though.  like more than we used to spend to buy a whole
bus chunk of change. :)

Wish someone would build a rear kit for RGBs...I know 99% what's needed,
but dont have the time to fab it all up myself and havent convinced any of
the kit builders to do the work for me....  if I was closer to someone like
Russ @ oldspeed I could probably convince him...

DO consider using calipers where that allow you to have different brake
compound options for the pads.  (ie, not bus calipers.  something like
wilwood or porsche or knockoffs).   you may find that you need to balance
your brake bias by changing pads (when I did my fronts on my 66, my rear
loved to lock up in the rain.  turns out the "stock" pad the builder sent
sucked ass when cold, so when it lost temp in the rain it just didnt bite.
 the rear drums, however, grabbed fine......   finding a cold-friendly
compound solved that problem.)

also consider rotors - will you be able to use an off the shelf rotor for
replacement?  is it something purely custom (like CSP's front kit at least
used to be)?  is it something you can get but will need a machine shop to
modify? (babystangs are like that)