[T2] LRR tyres

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 18:31:53 PST 2021

   A physics prof cobber who commutes >100km in his Prius measures his fuel
& tyre costs closely.  He has found that Low Rolling Resistance tyres such
as used to be made by Toyo save enough fuel to pay wholly for the
replacement tyres !
   He explains:
The key to LRR is reduced internal losses.
This is achieved inevitably with less compliance in the rubber (the rubber
is a lot harder).  Provided the pressure is the same there will be a
noticeable increase in the “feel” of rough road surfaces and increased road
noise which can be suppressed somewhat by softer tyres.
The other difference that you can readily detect is that non-LRR tyres get
quite warm on a trip of even a few km, while LRR tyres stay cooler.
I suspect that people avoid them not so much because of the slight
reduction in grip on wet surfaces but because of increased noise and road
feel.  Most people don’t care about petrol consumption.

<https://tirereviewsandmore.com/laufenn-tire-reviews/> says Laufenn is a
cheap brand made by Hankook which certainly do cost more if you insist on
their primary brand.  Hankook have a top reputation among the VW bus
fraternity, but don't claim to make LRR any more.  My tyre dealer finds no
mfr but Laufenn still making LRR!  They have a complex dissymmetrical
tread.  I just slapped a couple on the front of my Prius and will report.

     Can LRR substitute for our favourite 185 x 14 *lt *{light truck} or *c*
(commercial)?  The "45,000 mi warranty" does imply they last  ...

cheers