[T2] (no subject)

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Wed Aug 18 06:20:59 PDT 2021

i would keep an eye out for an increase in oil spray out if the filler vent
tube (hopefully connected to an air cleaner)

you may notice oil running out of the air cleaner or an oily carb throat if
the misting is too much.

a pain in the ass to fix in the bus, but you dont need to remove the alt
and stand in this case, just get it up enough to get the plate and a gasket
in…. loosening the alt strap, shroud bolts (sides and doghouse) and
disconnecting the tstat should give you enough room.  i think

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 9:55 PM chris dreike <cdreike at gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert,
> The 3 louver deflector prevents the oil from splashing up the oil filler
> tube. Of course this is likely obvious to you.
> It also limits oil flow when filling the sump. I find that it is
> necessary to pour the fresh oil slowly so as not to have an overflow mess.
> The only damage a missing louver would do is maybe some oil seepage from
> the oil filler.
> If the gaskets is missing and no sealant applied you will have leakage
> at the base of the filler.
>
> Chris
> 64 DD Kamper Kit
>

> On 8/17/2021 2:58 PM, Robert Mann wrote:
> > One offence of the incompetent firm which replaced my clutch etc is
> > omission of the 3-louvres oil deflector plate, with paper gaskets above &
> > below, at the base of the alternator stand. This plate presumably
> controls
> > oil splashes &/or fog which are to pass, at limited rates, up thru the
> > alternator emerging in the main fan housing. I had not known of this
> > lubricant fog until I found the deflector plate omitted and looked it
> > up in
> > the Bentley.
> > BTW the rear L of the 4 bolts holding down the alternator stand flange
> > base is the convenient place to return oil from the dunny-paper
> oil-filter
> > made by my old friends Fluidyne. This bolt hole goes clear thru into the
> > sump, so I merely replaced that bolt with a home-made hollow bolt.
> > The 2 for'ard fastenings of this alternator stand base are v tricky to
> > undo, and so I ask whether the oil deflector plate is necessary. It has
> > been left out, wrongfully; but how much harm will result if I don't
> > replace
> > it? The motor is OK (and with skimmed heads, obviously more powerful).
> > Has anyone experience running a similar motor lacking that oil-control
> > deflector plate?
> >
> > I'm relieved to have recovered my camper and it is performing well so
> > far, but the pleasure is eroded by finding so many things wrong in the
> > workmanship of Silverdale Automotive. I am sure Brian would not be so
> > imprudent as to sue me.
> >
> > Good to be mobile again, and to look fw to good advice
> >
> > Robt Mann
> > '73 1600dp Devon camper
> > Stanmore Bay
> > New Zealand

Send from my random mobile device of the week