[T2] T2 with Subaru engine shoehorned in

Andy McKinley airhedz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 22:24:20 PDT 2019

Here in the states power assisted disc brakes (front only) were introduced
with the 1971 model year, probably in preparation for the larger engines
(1700cc) introduced in 1972.
There is a shop in Berkeley, CA (Buslab; avoid them like the plague, they
are hacks) that specializes in converting Vanagon models to Subaru engines.
The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has actually given these
conversions the thumbs up for post 1979 models, but oddly not for earlier
models that had the same engines. Pre-1980 models must go before a CARB
referee if any changes to the stock configuration are made. I, painfully,
own a bus with a one year only (1979), California only, emissions system.
Please help me find a port side heater box!

Andy McKinley
airhedz at gmail.com

Love your country, but never trust its government.
-- Robert A. Heinlein.