[T2] Rear brake problem, brakes lock when braking

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Fri Jan 11 09:12:01 PST 2019

> By clicks you mean the hand brake? We adjusted the rear shoes correctly but no progress.

clicks of the adjustment wheel at the brake (at least, that's how I
generally set them - I run them tight, then back up a measured and
equal number of clicks - where the spokes of the adjuster wheel cross
the spring retainer - how many is based on feel and how much drag I
feel.   front drums particularly lead one to this method, where it's
super important to have them balanced side to side)

if it were mine, I'd try backing out the adjustment a bit looser as a
workaround.

also:  you replaced the front pads.  did you do a bed-in procedure on
them?   there can be a night and day difference in grip between a
fresh set of pads and a set that's broken in (which the bed-in
accelerates).

beyond that - these are stock front calipers?  you've confirmed
they're not hanging up on their slides (it's been a long time since I
worked on a disk brake bay, but I'm 99% sure they're floating
calipers)?   the slide pins and the pad backer edges and possibily the
the frame all have sliding friction points that can be a source of
binding.

what about rear rubber lines?   when they've aged out, they swell in
the middle - and they basically hold brake pressure against the cyl
for a whole.   (usually you notice it as a loss of brakes due to over
heating, but could also lead to earlier lockup)