[T2] 1980 Brazil T2

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 18:31:49 PST 2019

   At the recent annual hot rod show in Orewa (10 min from my home) I
photographed a curious 'hybrid'.  From the front, Bay; but Splitty-type
side doors, swinging half-axle rear suspension, and  -  as late as 1980  -
1600*s*p Typ-1 engine !  The cooling intakes were the inferior flush
louvres characteristic of the Splittie.  This one had an intake scoop on
one side, which the owner rationalised on the theory that cross-flow air
was wanted.  I tried hard to convince him he should abandon that novel
notion and add a mirror-image scoop on the other side.
   The owner said it had been sold new in NZ.  Very few were.

Robt Mann
1973 1600dp Devon camper