[T2] 71 rear brakes leaking

cdreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Wed Sep 26 19:00:41 PDT 2018

Thanks guys.
I went out and looked. I could see the adjuster holes near the bottom. Are they supposed to have a plug in them?

Avocado Tom Tarka <avocadotom at gmail.com> wrote:

They are not auto adjusting.  You have to go in through the backing plate and adjust them...I usually just use a screwdriver but there’s an angled tool for the purpose that you can also use.

Leaking fluid is a bad wheel cylinder, but that can also be caused by not setting the “free play” of the brake pedal properly.  That’s the gap between the brake pedal piston and where it hits the master cylinder plunger.  Improper adjustment can cause premature failure of rear wheel cylinders, although predominantly the passenger side one. (As had been said in the past: “Ask me how I know...”)

Just something to check on...

Safe travels!

Avo

—
“We are MoTown. We’re professionals.  We’re here to get the job done.”