[T2] This Day in History

Al Brase alribee at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 08:47:44 PST 2018

AS did most every Mercedes made int the 50's-mid 60's. (with a slightly
lower pivot),
The 356 Porsche used the original KDF style swing axle right thru 1965. In
a skid pad road test in about 62 or 63 the Porsche 356B recorded a lateral
acceleration of .89G. A record that stood, I believe till the 1984
Chevrolet Corvette came up with a full 1.0G. Corvette buyers hated the
stiff ride so backed down the spring rated to improve ride quality in 1985.
GM's criminal tactics against Nader were so wrong headed. They had
continued to make improvements, ALL 1964 Corvairs had improved camber
compensators. Perhaps earlier year Spyders? And of course, the 1965-up
models used CORVETTE style rear suspension, so nobody could fault that.
Corporate responsibility was still in its infancy then but GM COULDA-
SHOULDA given 1960-63 owners some remedy- perhaps a buy back trade in offer
for a brand new 1966 model or perhaps they could have developed a dealer
installed mod to put the later axles in the early car. Realistically, by
1966, probably less than half of those built would have lined up for a
remedy.
And just IMAGINE the good will such a gesture would create! If they let a
63 Corvair owner trade up to a BRAND NEW 1966 for $500-1000 discount those
buyers wold be sold for life with GM loyalty.