[T2] Single cab gate latches

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Sun Mar 25 19:40:26 PDT 2018

OK – so forgings.

To get them off was not as hard as getting the screws for the gates (a few of those snapped off, and I needed to drill and re-tap them out).

I recall the paint that was worn off was not as much as I would have expected, but I figure I’ve got an opportunity to try something different, and there is a powder coat shop about 2 blocks from the body shop. I haven’t done any powder coat work for some years, but I recall it being super durable. Like hit it with a hammer durable. If I go with powder coating – I would probably just go with an accent color, I guess.

The phosphoric acid is a good idea. I’ll dip them. Then rinse, and dry with a heat gun. That is my normal operating procedure when using any of those metal prep.

Recently I had been using Jasco Metal perp – but I am almost out of what I have, and I just realized it has been discontinued. It seems like a nice product.

The parts are put together in such a way, that I don’t see how to take them apart completely without destroying them. So I can’t completely dismantle them – ie the pivot pin is kind of permanent.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

’78 Westy
'69 Singlecab
'65 Ez-camper

From: Al Brase <alribee at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [T2] Single cab gate latches

Those are forgings. Red hot steel, squashed into shape by dies top and bottom. Makes an incredibly strong, resilient part. Pint worn off on the wear surface was probably the natural state of these after a few months of use.
These were moderate priced very unique WORK vehicles.
If I ever restore one, I will likely sand the paint off to bare metal and treat it with phosphoric acid to keep the rust under control.
Powder paint has rather thick film thickness. Next problem is matching the powder to the body color will not likely be possible.
These have so many surfaces, I wonder if they painted them before assembly. Is there color under the screw heads?
I have some NOS ones, no paint; and some on my 1955 single cab, likely never see the holding screws out in my lifetime!
Al