[T2] Gen light

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 00:05:28 PDT 2018

       My recent similar problem with my '73 *alternator* showed a faint
but definite discharge red light, at all revs.  (I hung on with overnight
charging off the mains, and then broke down and got the alternator
reco'd.)
       First, can you twirl the *gen* working the belt by hand?  If no
evident gross friction, what about twirling the gen shaft with a
variable-trigger power drill?  Some short length of thick rubber tubing may
serve as adapter  ...
       In the event that the gen still turns fine, as thus crudely tested,
you could slap the belt back on and spin the gen in the normal way.  Can
you not line up meter(s) to read whether charging is or is not actually
occurring?  I don't understand the circuitry for that discharge warning,
but it will usually not signal a 'shutdown' damage in the gen, I reckon.
       If your gen turns out to be {deleted}, consider slapping in a more
modern drive shaft from the rear pulley thru to the fan, *viz* a mid-70s
Bosch 55-amp alternator scarcely fatter than the gen it replaced in '73.
Reco'ing will usually, at most, entail 2 cheap 6xyz bearings, two
spring-pushed carbon brushes, and replacing the soldered-on 'cotton reel'
pair of slip-rings on the shaft.  Mine has a built-in sealed plastic box
regulator, with the general appearance of OEM, made in Australia.  This is
the '70s at their best.
      If your regulator gets diagnosed as THE failure, and is the old soft
iron L with solenoids, I assume you'll be able to buy a solid-state
replacement.

      Just yarning about T2 DC 😀  generally a weak region of T2 (tho' less
markedly so than the dismal PAL brand Czech electrics in classic Jawas).
 How I loathed those arcing points!

cheers to all

Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa