[T2] Using a later FI system on 75 bus?

Greg Potts slowlanemusic at icloud.com
Mon Jun 18 11:37:39 PDT 2018

Hi Mike,

I’ve run a 2L vanagon FI setup on my 1.7L EA engine since around 2008. I logged almost every fuel fill and tracked milage regularly. it doesn’t run rich at all. . Last year heading to High Country Bus Festival fully loaded i saw between 18-22MPG (US Gallon) .

The L-Jetronic airflow meter measures airflow and the ECU delivers fuel accordingly . With a smaller engine draws less air so the ECU shortens the injector pulse and  maintains proper air/fuel ratio. It might become a problem for someone with a 2L motor using a 1.8L FI when they hit the rev limiter at 5500 rpm but honestly: if you’re at that rpm for a sustained duration you probably will have other issues to deal with.

You need to swap the throttle body, wiring harness, ECU and AFM as a set to make it work properly. VW added and remove a sensor at the throttle body and in the process they changed the connector at the AFM.

PM me for more details and i’d be happy to tell you what i know.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts
197x WestFakia “Bob the Tomato”
Toronto Ontario Canada