[T2] Alternator vs generator

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 20:31:38 PDT 2018

   Another drawback of the gen is its inability to charge at low revs,
whereas the alternator, once the regulator has switched off the red
discharge light when engine revs reach c.1000 rpm, then keeps charging even
when the revs drop to v low idle.
   I've driven both, and would unhesitatingly prefer alternator.   And I
speak as one who's just had to replace those slip rings mentioned by Al.
The brushes on them were nowheres near worn out.  Gen brushes are doomed to
faster wear for the reason stated by Al.
   It is a puzzle why mfrs took so long to install alternators in place of
gens.  Plymouth was, surprisingly, the first I know of (1962).  Renault
followed with the fabulous R16, 1965 I think; VW slower (and why, I've
never known).  I think my '73 VW was the first T2 with alt, and I'm glad of
it.

RM
'73 1600dp Devon