[T2] poor man's voltmeter

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 01:59:49 PDT 2018

    During my recent difficulties with inadequate charging, and the
recovery of my battery from 12.6V to 13.6V after the alternator was reco'd,
I've been able to confirm the poor man's voltmeter works on 12V systems as
on my old 6V 1957 splittie.  Once the discharge warning light has gone out,
press the horn button.  If the battery is v low, the horn will either not
work at all or will produce at most the low-pitch croak of a dying
tuatara.  As the battery voltage climbs during ensuing miles, the pitch of
the horn also climbs.  This is a rather reliable qualitative index of
charge.  I claim this is a refutation of my distant relative B Russell's
stupid slogan 'number holds sway over the flux'.

Robt Mann
'73 1600dp Devon