[T2] Subject: Re: Valve seats - long read !

Bob Perring perring at zitomedia.net
Mon Apr 23 15:13:18 PDT 2018

Everyone,
Thanks !!! - -  for the comments and guidance.
Thanks for reading !!

Here is the situation I am facing,
but please understand that I am way ahead of myself in analyzing the
engine problem,
as I have not pulled the engine just yet,
and am only trying to get a blind man's foresight view of what I
might be facing.

3,000 miles ago:
I adjusted all valves.
All were good, and needed just a small amount of tweaking to be spot on.
I have been keeping an eye on #1 exhaust because I "sense" that it
seems to keep tightening on me,
and I keep my eye on #3 exhaust just because !

Jump to today:
Engine has been running great, 23 mpg, no oil usage, no oil leaks of
importance.
Plugs look good.

I attempted to adjust the valves this past weekend, again after only
3,000 miles.
1,2,4 sets were all still .006" - - -
on #3, only the inlet was still .006"

#3 exhaust was .000".
I cannot adjust #3 exhaust.
The rocker will not clear the spring, and #3 exhaust stays closed at all times.
I cannot get a feeler guage between the valve/spring and the adjusting screw.

I swapped rockers,
I checked the rocker arm assembly,
I just cannot see what might have happened.
Whatever has happened, it is not visible, and is inside the head.

So, I'm thinking ...
Valve stem stretch - not likely
Valve sucked into head - not likely
Valve seat sucked in, or damaged - perhaps.

I drive no faster than 55 mph.
I have CHT gauge on #3 that has not shown high heat.
Engine has not shown any performance problems these past 3K miles.

A planned bus trip to Lafayette, LA music festival this weekend will
not be made in the bus.
My wife and I will be boring people.

So ....
I was gonna pull the engine anyway when I got home.
I'll just add this new discovery to the list of basic checks I
intended to do during the forthcoming engine pull.
LOL - I was going to upgrade the CHT system on #3 to higher quality
with the upcoming pull !!

I'm 71 years old.
I can use the impending up-down-crawl-exert workout.

Again,
Thanks for reading.
I slept like crap last night, always waking up and doing head game
solutions for this aggravation.

Bob Perring