[T2] Powerless 1800 cc

John Sheldon sheldon67 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 19 06:46:15 PDT 2018

So, my 74 bus has a stock 1800 cc engine with OEM carburetors which were
overhauled over a year+ ago.

Now, after warming up and running for about 30 minutes, I lose power while
at speed (55 mph).  When I pull to the side, engine will idle fine after
re-starting.  Then, when trying to accelerate, it loses power immediately
down to the point that it wants to sputter out.  Re-starting occurs again -
nice idle then no power when accelerating, etc.

Ignition is good.  To be safe, I just changed distributor to Pertronix.
Working great.  Problem was before this.

Fuel pump was new a year ago - OEM pump - last one on the shelf at a local
(Baltimore) shop.  Going to check fuel pressure once I get a gage.

Have removed air pump when I swapped engine two years ago - not part of
picture for a while.

I am thinking carburetor floats - but then why 30 minutes before it happens?

As a side note:  While putzing around with this I managed to break a lead on
the left choke heater.  Trying to find these for an 1800 engine seems to
require that I deal with companies in the Vaterland.

Any ideas?

John Sheldon

Columbia, MD

P.S.

At this point I am thinking of changing to an aftermarket carburetor system.
I have tried to keep it original up until now.

Any thought on this would also be appreciated.