[T2] 1974 Westy tailight wiring colors

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Fri Sep 8 16:26:43 PDT 2017

Hi Scoggy,

I've got a '78, but I can try to help. Generally I've found tail light issues are generally related to bad grounds. The light housing needs a separate ground. Some tail lights don't have this - and they just ground through the housing. This doesn't work too great over time. Sometimes the ground wire is missing. I try to add one - if there is not one there.

Taking a quick look at the wiring diagram for your year - I believe you have the following from the diagram
Passenger Side -
M2 - Tail/brake light - grey wire w/red stripe
M8 - Turn Signal - black with green stripe

Driver Side
M4 - Tail/Brake light - grey wire with black stripe
M6 - Turn Signal - black w/white stripe

You could try a voltmeter back there?

Hope that helps.

Good luck.