[T2] This Day in History: Attack of the 50-ft Nader

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 11:18:15 PST 2017

<http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/unsafe-at-any-
speed-hits-bookstores>

     I believe he also attacked the VW Bus for lack of protection against
head-on crashes – correct me if my memory is faulty.  At the time I owned a
'57 Splittie and could not refute his assertion.  My main response was to
rehearse in my imagination the sub-routine of taking to the countryside in
preference to any profferred head-on.  Even tho' I have a strong 'bull' bar
in front of my '73 Bay, I still feel I'd rather roll several times in a
field than take a head-on.

     Regarding GM's effort, owners have told me the rear suspension was
improved greatly after Nader's attack  –  but, as it turned out, too late.
I believe the CowerVayer was one of Detroit's finest.  (How much that is
*saying*, we might discuss.)
    Since it's Friday, I mention also that GM & Ford is not the whole story
on Detroit.  Just N of me (in Maungatapere  –  now that will help you find
it 😀) is the Craw family museum containing dozens of interesting
motorcycles and 5 dozen Packards.  <
http://sometimes-interesting.com/2011/08/15/largest-abandoned-factory-in-the-world-the-packard-factory-detroit/>.
It's widely believed that the version of the Merlin mfd by Packard (mainly
for the P-51) was better than Rolls-Royce's own version.

TGIF

Robt Mann
'73 1600dp Devon with puzzling rear seat / bed