[T2] 2nd Gear Problems

Andy McKinley airhedz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 21:53:51 PDT 2017

If you're going to pull the drive train, do all the bushings.

Bus Depot has a kit with all the bushings (211711211). Later models use two
of the shuttlecock looking bushings (211711185B), so order another one.
These parts are pretty inexpensive.

And yes, the trans and engine must come out to do this job. I'm prepping to
do this for the third time in 27 years.

You might also check all of your mounts (211599431, front transmission
carrier mount, 021199231CMY, motor mount, and 021119245B, dipstick tube
boot). All these are much easier to replace when pulling the engine/trans.

I'm also doing a complete clutch overhaul, so I'm going with new clutch
disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, pilot bearing seal, and throwout
bearing. I also have on hand a good used flywheel and throwout bearing fork
just in case. Oh, and a complete transmission. I have way too many spare
parts.

Andy
airhedz at gmail.com
1979 Cali sunroof Kombi,