[T2] [Q] Bus Year

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Wed May 31 14:44:03 PDT 2017

> My '71 Westy, as per the official Wesfalia sticker, is just that -- a '71
> Westy. However, as per the official VW plate, my '71 Westy is a '69 Type 2.
> Have always considered my Westy a '71 (e.g. has power-assist brakes, etc.).

What official VW plate?  the VIN number tells all.   What are the
first 3 digits of the vin?  that 3rd number is the most important, but
the second one will tell us if the bus was originally a camper.  :)
Your M-code plate can also give some hints - but the vin is the real
tell.

Of course, camper interiors and parts are easy to swap over time, as
are front beams - but someone would have to work a lot harder to
change other 69 vs 71 details, like rear drums, lots of cab interior
trivia I've forgotten over the years,

camper sinks didn't have vents in '69, so there no roof vent (and
pipe) for it.      sadly the camper interior changes are the ones I
recall most......