[T2] When to check oil level?

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Sat Jul 29 06:47:05 PDT 2017

Hi Guys,

I have a new (2008) BMW. There is not dipstick in these new cars. There is some sort of computer reading or something. But you can't check the oil level with the computer until the car has been running for about 10 minutes or so. I talked to my brother about this - and he thought that maybe you get a more accurate reading from a warmed up vehicle...or something like that.

I think I've often checked my bus oil level when the bus is cold. Am I doing it wrong? Should I be waiting until the bus is warmed up, then check the oil level?

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab