[T2] Alternator cooling boot...

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Mon Jul 17 11:31:49 PDT 2017

Well I got the new cooling boot from the Bus Depot. They got the replacement out to me quickly. Basically it is the exact same boot - it just has a different shaped clamp for attaching to the alternator. I guess it is what it is.

It took about 1 hour to get the little spring clip & little bit of rubber from the old boot out of where it had fallen in. A combination of screwdrivers, magnets and needle nose pliers - eventually I got it out. A lot of cursing later, I eventually got it out.

When I try to put the new one in - the spring clip that is inside the boot, keeps popping out, and falling into the hole. Which means a few minutes fishing it out, and starting over again. It is a darn awkward thing to get in. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, or if there is a trick to installing this cooling boot, without losing the spring?

At one point I thought the boot was a snug enough fit that I would not need the spring clip to hold it in place- but then when wrestling the alternator back in - the book comes out.

Any suggestions on install appreciated.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy