[T2] which alternator should i have?

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Thu Jul 13 14:53:30 PDT 2017

Following up on my previous post regarding the cooling boot:

I maybe should have asked - which alternator should I have? My alternator does not have a tag on it. So I assume it was rebuilt at some point.

I have a '78 westfalia - I think these would come with a 70 amp - so that they could power the electric fridge?

Then again - the cooling opening on the front of the alternator is oval shaped not round. I would think the round shape (larger) is to cool a more robust (hotter) alternator.

Basically - I am confused at this point. Bus Depot is sending out the other boot - but I'd just like to understand which alternator I actually have, and which one I should have. I'm thinking - if I have the smaller alternator, maybe that is why the refrigerator doesn't always seem to work while driving.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA