[T2] alternator bolt, cooling boot

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Thu Jul 13 12:13:18 PDT 2017

HI Guys,

My lower alternator bolt appeared to be broken, or something was wrong with it. The alternator was loose I have taken it mostly apart - It appears as though the nut came off the bolt, and the end of the bolt got a little boogered up. I think I can clean the bolt up and reuse it. I just need a new nut for it. Should I use a nylon lock nut? What is the bolt part number - to order a new one? It is a d-shaped bolt.

I also ordered a new boot for it (part #021 930 655D) for a 70 amp alternator.

The cooling boot was cracked, and I pulled it out. Apparently there is a small spring clamp to hold it to the frame, then a sort of hose clamp to tighten it around the alternator. When I pulled it out - I could feel the little bit of spring and a small bit of the rubbed still stuck inside the area it attaches to. I tried to grab it with my fingers, and eventually - it slipped down inside that area. This is where the rear engine pulley is. I imagine there is enough room in there - that I can probably just leave it, but is there any way to get something out that falls down there?

Also - the replacement boot is labeled 022 903 655. Slightly different part number. I understand there are two boots that could go here. One for a 70 amp generator and one for a 55 amp generator. I assumed I had the 70 amp generator - as I have a '78 westy, fully loaded. The end of the new boot is round. The original one is oval. I don't know it if just becomes oval from being under a hose clamp for so long, or if I have the wrong boot, or if they just make one boot now that is supposed to fit both applications.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab