[T2] Clutch problem?

c.dreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Wed Jan 25 16:39:12 PST 2017

Hi Olive,
I know that in my splitty there is a spring on the arm at the
transmission. None at the pedal. I believe your bay bus is the same.
I have had a sagging clutch pedal when my clutch cable was in the
process of breaking. Not all the cable strands fail at the same time. As
strands break, the pedal sags until it falls to the floor and you will
have to drive without the clutch. Can be done with little trouble. AND,
maybe your wing nut has rotated loose and simply needs to be tightened a
few turns.

Driving without the clutch:
1. Shut off engine
2. Put into 1st gear. (sometimes first pulling into second gear will help)
3. Start engine, car will chug and buck slightly.
4. Bring speed up to about 15mph.
5. Back off on the gas pedal slowly while putting some pressure on the
shift arm towards second gear. If the engine load is about neutral with
your speed, The shifter should move easily out of gear and into the
neutral position.
4. Press gently into the 2nd gear position. As the engine revs down, 2nd
gear will engage. Bring speed to about 25mph.
5. Continue in the same manner, easing up on gas while shifting to next
gear. Sometimes its necessary to rev the engine a bit to get the next
gear to engage.
6. Takes a little practice but after doing this for a bit, you will
wonder what the clutch is for.

The trick is to ease up force on the drive train so that the synchros
will allow the gears to engage. Down shifting requires revving the
engine while in neutral to match the engine rpms with your rolling speed.

Good luck,
Chris