[T2] Horn Troubleshooting

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Mon Dec 4 15:06:47 PST 2017

Ok - while waiting for paint to dry on the heater box flaps - I figure I might as well address a horn issue.

My horn worked intermittently for a week or so before I started addressing all these other issues. I looked underneath, and saw a short ground wire at base of steering column. This wire was broken. I just replaced wire - underneath the bus, I used the same bolt, above the floor I used the bolt that is 180 degrees from the original bolt that was used, as it was a lot easier to get to. I put some anti-seize on the bolts when I put the thing back together.

As far as bolts - I'm referring to the 4 bolts at the base of the steering column that go through the steering coupler. I picked two bolts next to each other.

Horn not working.

I checked wire under button on steering wheel - it is in good shape.

If I ground the horn directly (is put a short wire between horn ground and touch the body, I get a honk). Which connection is messed up?

Thanks for any guidance.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy