[T2] 2nd gear problems

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Thu Aug 10 07:52:24 PDT 2017

Ok - another update this morning.

I went out there - with the hope of the problem being related to the shifter plate adjustment. I went under the bus - and all connections look ok to me. I grabbed the shift rod under the bus - moved it around while watching all connections - they all look secure.

I then went in the bus - loosened the bracket at the bottom of the shift lever. I am unable to get the bus into reverse. With the engine off - I put the shifter lever into what I think is reverse - and start the bus, slowly let out clutch - and bus tries to move forward. It is in 2nd gear, not reverse. I messed around with this 3 or 4 times - still the same response.

Then I took the shift lever off - for the 2nd time - to double check that I installed the top plate correctly. It looks right to me. I just can't get the bus into reverse. Reverse lights never come on.

At this point, I am thinking there is something wrong internally to the transmission.

Any other suggestions? Did I miss one of the earlier suggestions?

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab