[T2] 2nd gear problems

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Wed Aug 9 13:25:23 PDT 2017

Ok - quick update...
I drained the transmission fluid after driving around for about 45 minutes. It was almost impossible to get it into 3rd gear during the warming up drive, but 1st and 2nd were normal.

Replaced fluid with Royal Purple 75/90 Synthetic Gear oil. I had read this was a good one a few years ago - so I had a bunch on hand.

I was still unable to get into 3rd while in the driveway.

I then took a look at the shift linkages - while a friend shifted. It all looked ok to me. IE everything seemed to move ok.

I then took apart the shift lever. This was still greasy, but super gunky/dirty grease. I cleaned everything up. Repainted the stop plate and re-installed everything with fresh grease. I followed the Bentley guidelines for bolting this in place. Seemed to work for gears 1-4, but now I couldn't get into reverse.

I fiddled with it for a while - still couldn't get it into reverse. I took it apart - thinking that maybe I put the stop plate in wrong. But it was in correctly. I messed around with it again - I can't seem to get it aligned properly.

In the good news department - my brake light switches that attach to the Master Cylinder had been leaking - to the point that they no longer worked. Replacements came today. I put them in, and topped off brake fluid reservoir. Now I just need my son home, so I can test if they work now.

At this point I'm hoping I just need to get the plate aligned correctly, and I'll be good to go. I do notice that when I get gears 1-4 working, when I put it into 3 gear - my knuckles practically hit the parking brake handle. So something is not aligned right. Need to take a break, then try again when a little refreshed.

Any tips on aligning this shifter plate appreciated. Otherwise - I may take a look under the bus again at the shift linkages.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab