[T2] Hiccuping Engine

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Sat Apr 29 11:32:59 PDT 2017

I may not be using the correct terminology. AT the bottom of the tank is a fitting that threads on that has a small metal tube coming out. Typically you attach your flexible fuel line here.

You can take that fitting out, and on my '65 there is a filter just inside the tank that attaches to this fitting. You can replace this fitting with a Fuel reserve tap - part # 111-209-021-F.

I believe that these were wired to a handle under the front seat of the bus. If you look, and I remember correctly, there are two bosses there. You can have a heater switch on one, and a fuel reserve switch on the other. This was for the time before fuel gauges, if you ran out of gas, you pulled the lever, than the bottom 1" or so of the tank would then flow, otherwise this was always kept "on reserve". I think if you put the handle in just the right position, it acts a shut-off. Useful for pulling engine, replacing fuel filters etc.

I've tried those hose clamps, that supposedly don't damage the fuel line, but pinch it enough to stop fuel flow. Never quite worked for me. The only thing I could ever get to work was a needle nose vise grip. But there are not very good for the fuel lines.

I just found this pic, that shows how the switch works - https://volkswagenutah.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/vw-fuel-reserve-fact-of-the-day/

Here is a diagram of how the tap actually works.

I thought it might be nice to actually run a line, and use this as intended. Admittedly, this is pretty low on my list of things to do to my bus.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

’78 Westy
'69 Singlecab