[T2] Timing a 2 liter Bus engine with a 009 and aftermarket carb

Tim Shepherd forever-endeavor at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 27 14:35:52 PDT 2017

Thanks for all the quick replies! I see a couple distributors listed to fit the 2000cc engine; 211 905 205 Q and 021 905 205 A-C. Which one is correct and will work without the electronic ignition which has been removed on this Bus?

________________________________

Subject: Re: [T2] Timing a 2 liter Bus engine with a 009 and aftermarket carb

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Tim Shepherd
<forever-endeavor at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings all, trying to time a 1973 Bus with a later 2000cc engine, 009 distributor and aftermarket carb. Do I time it to when the white mark is at 9 degree mark at the top of the gauge After Top Dead Center as per the manual, or to 7.5 degrees as per Muir, or...?

The 009 should only be tuned (other than for startup) dynamically, not
statically.  The many many variations of them have a fairly varied set
of timing curves.

Time for max advance (on a type4 I seem to recall that's somewhere
around 45 degrees?  the old "28-32 degrees" is for uprights, even
though lots of folks apply it to t4s.  but stock t4 distr's advance a
lot further...)

that said - a 009 does NOT have enough advance curve range to allow
you to have a sane idle setting and still get full advance and power,
so you'll never get your carb tuned to match.  so high idle, flat spot
stumbles, and/or reduced power (and overrich to compensate for a lot
of other things) tend to be your options.

you need a t4-era distributor for a t4 motor, IME and IMO.  look at
the factory advance curves and you'll see what I mean....