[T2] Rust, Noise, Heat

c.dreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Sun Nov 6 19:18:50 PST 2016

Bob,
I placed 2 layers of Dynamat in my rear hatch and filled it with Great
Stuff. The counterbalance springs now just barely hold up the hatch when
fully open.  The Great Stuff sticks like a bugger to everything and
would be difficult to remove. Keep in mind that it expands like mad. The
rear hatch now closes with a satisfying Thud!
  I managed to buy a whole role of the NASA insulation from the
manufacturer years ago and used that all over inside my bus on top of
dynamat. The key here is to prevent any steel surface from getting wet
and staying so over any long period as rust will develop. Any bare steel
or painted steel surface is prone to having condensation develop on it
at night or during cold weather. (Think warm bodies and steamy breath.)
The Great Stuff should seal out moisture and prevent condensation. The
linked paper mentions coating everything with Cool Patch which would do
the same. I'm sure you read the paper so you know what the various
layers of "gunk and stuff" are supposed to do. My bus is somewhat
quieter than it was before I installed all the  "stuff", however still
quite a noise box on the freeway. Maybe something to do with the wood
paneled camper resonating and bouncing noise all over the place. Padded
panels in the driver compartment made a noticeable difference in the
noise level up front. BTW all my doors have Dynamat on the interior with
NASA insulation filling the voids. As I have a garage queen I did not
seal up the panels with plastic sheeting.

I live in Southern California so I'm not so worried about cold weather
and a working heater.

Somewhere I have a print out of the original paper before it was dropped
from it original place on the internet. Nice to see that the web site
was resurrected via the Way Back Machine. Not sure, but I think the
photos are no longer full sized. Interesting to read it again after all
these years.

Chris
64DD Kamper Kit