[T2] Windshield removal (Bob Pratt)

accessys at smart.net accessys at smart.net
Sun Jun 26 20:12:49 PDT 2016

we had that rubber dang near too warm to hold we left it lying in the sun
for hours. it just wouldn't go. the "proS" tried several times. since my
old glass was pierced by a couple cinder blocks it put no strain on the
rubber coming out.... I really wanted new rubber but after 3 guys spent a
day on the thing just getting it in was success.   and as I said they got
it sealed.

my luck it will fall out tonight..........

again at the price, get the pros to put it in.

Bob

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016, The Bus Depot wrote:

> Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 22:36:20 -0400
> From: The Bus Depot <type2 at busdepot.com>
> To: 'Type 2 forum' <type2 at type2.com>
> Subject: Re: [T2] Windshield removal (Bob Pratt)
>
>> I did the ron (Bus Depot) repair to my lower glass frame when some vandals broke
>> my front windshield, Autolite had them in stock tinted or not my choice same price.
>> when I finished all the metal work some young guy comes out who has never done
>> a pull in windshield and spent several hours fiddling with it. calls another young guy
>> and the two of them spent several hours. finally called this older gentleman, showed
>> them how had the windshield in about 20 minutes ready to go. went in like he knew
>> what he was doing. which he did.... don't damage the moulding as the rubbber they
>> brought was for a Vanagon I'm sure and the new stuff I got from BD was not flexible
>> enough so they reused my old rubber but is still going strong with no leaks
>
> New rubber is not as flexible as old rubber. You will want to let it sit out in the sun for several hours before using it if possible.   But it is best to avoid using a used seal unless you have no choice; you don’t want to have to pull the windshield again because the seal deteriorated and let water in. Also I will second the opinions on having a pro install the windshield once you've done the metalwork. Bus and Vanagon windshields are a bear to install unless you've done it a bunch of times. If you crack your windshield trying to put it in it's your problem; if they crack it it's their problem.  It's worth the money to make it their problem. The windshield itself is not all that expensive if you shop it around to local glass places. (Prices can vary tremendously but you'll get probably the same PGW glass no matter who supplies it.)  We sell it too, but packing and shipping one windshield by itself in a manner that prevents breakage is really expensive so a local source!
  may be cheaper if you have one.