[T2] ECU and larger displacement

Sami Dakhlia sami.dakhlia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 14:15:51 PDT 2016

Hi Dennis,
I had removed the crush washer to adjust for the presence of the
sensor ring. Did not hear any unusual noises and did not see tell-tale
marks around the hole. :-( Too bad, because I really wanted to believe
in the escaping hot gases story...

The injectors are the same for the various years. So I'm still
thinking it could be the ECU. I wonder if with a 1976 ECU (only the
displacement changed between '75 and '76, the AFM did not -- and in
particular was of the 6-prong type without air temp sensor, so
compatibility with the rest of FI system is more likely), the
injectors would fire more often for a given AFM position?

With a ECU swap, the AFM would then need to be re-adjusted (adjust
spring to make it stiffer), effectively increasing the air flow rate
at which the AFM reaches the full open position. In other words, just
swapping the ECU would not be enough. And together with the stiffer
AFM, the ECU would get meaningful information as the AFM reacts to
WOT.

Good idea to do a dyno test, perhaps I'll be able to do that on my
next trip. A proper diagnostic would make a lot of sense before I
concoct more hypotheses!

Thanks again,
Sami