[T2] ECU and larger displacement

Dennis Gentry dennis.gentry at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 13:46:45 PDT 2016

Did you use a crush washer plus the sensor ring, or just the sensor ring?
If you left off the crush washer, the plug might extend into the cylinder a
tiny bit more, making it run hotter?  If hot gases were escaping, you
should have been able to hear it, plus it would leave tell-tale marks
around the hole.  (Try running with a spark plug only screwed in a couple
of turns to see what I mean. :)

I like your hypothesis about it running lean, since too lean will
definitely cause high CHT.  Are you thinking that the injectors meant for a
1.8 L engine are failing to keep up with 2 liters of displacement at high
RPMs?  I don't think that's the cause, since (I think) the injectors were
the same from 1975 through 1979, when the stock engines became 2.0 L in
1978 or so.  You could check for too-lean and for reasonable vs. too-low
power output by putting it on a dyno and measuring the CO/O2 levels in the
exhaust, but I imagine there is an easier way to do it that I'm not
thinking of right now.

Good Luck!
Dennis