[T2] re ceramic coatings

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 14:49:18 MST 2016

	On the exterior of exhaust manifolds, pipes etc this has been
commercial in NZ for a couple decades.
	On the inside of cylinders, I'd not heard of much ceramics.
Pistons are coming along, I gather.  If the combustion chamber's
several surfaces can be lined with ceramic, better specific power is
expected.
	But the notion that intrigues me is ceramic added to valves.
Exhaust valves are liable to wear, as are their seats, from the v
high temperatures imposed on them by the exhaust gases pulsing past
them.  They have been cooled in expensive engines this past 7 decades
by a heat-pipe of sodium contained in the valve stem.  The idea is to
conduct as much heat as possible away from the valve head & seat,
thus tending to slow their wear.  That aim would appear to be opposed
by slapping a relatively insulating layer of ceramic on the valve
head.
	If someone is offering such aftermarket ceramics, ask to see
the data compiled from failures so far.  Is the ceramic not falling
off from time to time, in various sizes?  Are those fragments readily
flushed out the exhaust valve, or do they sometimes cause damage?
And anyhow, what is the plurry idea in the first place?

	I confess to the vice of theorising, with no facts  -  please
supply the latter.

Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand
'73 VW 1600dp Devon camper