[T2] Ceramic Coating

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Sat Apr 16 15:32:04 MST 2016

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 5:03 PM, adam butler <acbutler.dandy at icloud.com> wrote:
> Okay, So I was advised in my build to ceramic coat the exhaust. We are fly cutting the pistons 88mm, ceramic coating the heads, and possibly a cam, on dual carbs.

what's the expected displacement?  sounds like close to 1700cc?
(what does fly cutting the pistons gain?  reduced CR?)

what exhaust are you going to use?  stock?  sure, you can ceramic coat
it.  the only real gain you'll see on a small motor is longevity -
possibly.  stock exhausts these days are pretty shitty. :)

if you're using another exhaust - consider investing the money in a
stainless exhaust instead (vintagespeed, a1, even empi now has
stainless options)

I definitely wouldn't bother with ceramic coating any of the
aftermarket headers/exhausts - just go stainless.

unlike ceramic coated headers on front engine watercooled cars,
retaining the "heat in the exhaust" doesnt really help a t1 or t4
motor - they're fully outside of the engine compartment already. :)
and they're SHORT.

imo. :)