[T2] Removing bedliner

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Fri Sep 18 08:41:02 MST 2015

Has anyone had one of these liners installed - and had it last? It seems like a great idea - but when it fails - it is rather catastrophic. Some sites I've seen suggested knotted wire brush and grinder. I think the stuff on mine was professionally installed.

Mine was peeling right on the edges when I first got my truck, and it has just gotten worse over time. I went to a liner place one to ask if they had any way to fix it. They suggested some sealant to help hold the edges down. That didn't last too long.

The PO put the liner on the bed, and up the sides of the gates - to the top inside corner. The problem/challenge with this - is there us a sharp turn, and it seems like nearly impossible to get any sort of liner to actually stick at that point.

I'm wondering if I should just go back to painted bed, and install some nice dense wood slats (ie Ipe, Mahogany, or Oak) at least I can easily replace a wooden slat if I have a problem.

Oh yeah - some PO also put some sort of liner on the bottom of the truck without properly prepping that. It is coming off in large chunks. I think I'll see a sandblaster next week, and get some ideas from him. My '65 I sandblasted the bottom myself. With it up on a lift. It took a lot of time, and was very difficult to work around the lift. That time I was just blasting to get some rust off, and to clean it before putting some heavy duty paint on it. This time the underside is freaking mess!

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

’78 Westy
'69 Singlecab