[T2] Weekend maintenance: two small steps forward, one big step back

Greg Potts greg at pottsfamily.ca
Mon May 4 06:41:33 MST 2015

Hi Volks,

So Saturday morning arrived bright and shiny... off to the driveway I
went to put new fuel lines into the bus. Slightly more than 2hrs later
and the job was done... all new braided Continental 7mm hose from one
end to the other and I ended up with about 4' left over from a $50 coil.

Next on the agenda, replace the alternator belt. Hardly a challenge at
all, that... but I did notice the engine is bucking a little. Not nearly
as stable as Pete Nickerson's bus was when I helped him with it a few
weeks back. So I checked over the vacuum lines and then tried the poor
man's compression test. Unhappily, #3 plug wire made no difference at
all when I removed it from the distributor.

Switched up the injector wiring, no problems there. Pulled the injector,
it was firing. Checked the spark plug, it was oily but not fouled. Put
in the compression gauge: 30 PSI. Also noticed a squeaky chuffing sound
when turning over. Adjusted the valves, the intake was slightly tight...
that brought the compression up to 45 PSI. Pulled the rockers and
checked the head studs: Slightly less tight than I would have liked, but
not too loose. Guess I am dropping the engine then.

Dropping the motor took a couple hours as I was working alone and taking
my time waiting for my brother to bring back the jack he borrowed. Once
it was down I pulled the tin and found the upper head studs around the
#3 end of the head were definitely loose. There was also a lot of oil
around the #3 cylinder inside the tin. I removed the rockers and
retorqued the head, put the rockers back on and checked the compression
by spinning the alternator: 30 PSI. And I could still hear it chuffing a
little.

At this point it was 9PM and I was spent. I slid the engine under the
bus, put away my tools and closed the garage door.  Sunday morning I was
registered for a canoe trip so I wasn't able to get back to it until
late afternoon. I had time to straighten out the garage and get the
engine up onto the stand, but then dinner intervened so I haven't got
the head off yet, hopefully I'll get that done tonight.

Any speculation on what I should be looking for would be appreciated.

As a side note, this is an AE 1.7L motor which I detuned using spacers
under the jugs to lower the compression. Without the spacers this engine
used to produce about 210 PSI compression and was rated for 95 HP. With
the spacers the compression dropped back to 125 PSI. I have put about
60,000 miles on it since installing it 7 years ago and it's been pretty
well behaved other than dropping an exhaust valve seat two years ago.

There's just four weeks to go until BusFusion, so I'm not short of
motivation on this.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts
Toronto, Ontario Canada