[T2] Carbs and change if altitude

Bob Perring perring at roadrunner.com
Sun Mar 29 06:52:41 MST 2015

My 1600 single port has crossed the great divide probably 2 dozen
times, or more.
Advance the timing so that ignition starts earlier, and you regain
much of your power.
Never had to mess with the carburetor, but it was always necessary to
advance the timing in order to gain lost power back due to altitude.

Another tip is to turn the radio off and leave your window down so
you can hear pinging in case you advanced too far.

On a couple of cold and damp Alaska high altitude moments,
and under similar conditions up around Mt. Rainier, I experienced
carburetor icing.

The solution for that was to make a pot of coffee and let the engine
heat soak into the system while I was brewing.
Problem solved.

Bob