[T2] Early bay master cylinder disassembly?

Gerald Livingston gerald.type2 at sysmatrix.net
Wed Jun 10 21:29:14 MST 2015

I have been futzing with my brakes for a couple of weeks. A bad
wheel cylinder helped me take a trip into a ditch a month or so
ago. I have had all 4 drums turned. Replaced all 4 from wheel
cylinders. Replaced the shoes. Replaced one rear wheel cylinder
that had a minor weeping problem (I had one new one handy, if I'd
had two I would have replaced both as a matter of course).

Still can't get good pedal even after a full flush/bleed using a
pressure bleeder.

Suspect the 5 year old after-market master cylinder is leaking
internally.

From the parts bus I have a BRAND NEW KMM (with provision for TWO brake
light switches damn hard to find now) that was mounted but never had
brake fluid put in it ... 10 years ago.

It did get condensation and dust inside. When I went to bench bleed it
turned the fluid nasty dark. So, I decided to pull it apart and clean
it.

The bore and rubber bits are still perfect. No scoring since it's never
been operated. So shiny smooth that it's hard to use a flashlight to
look inside.

My question is, how the hell do I get the rear plunger out when it is
still "brand new tight"? The front plunger I had to compress and let it
"pop up" a couple of times before enough came out of the bore for me to
grip and pull. The rear one is definitely too far down the bore for
that to work. I need to get it out to clean behind it.

Ideas?

G2

FB photos of the bench bleed nastiness are here: (if anyone needs me to
post them elsewhere I can do that, just let me know).

https://www.facebook.com/phorce1/media_set?set=a.10200622286237593.1073741854.1773008478&type=3