[T2] why it won't start

John Rogers arathorn.rogers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 15:13:41 MST 2015

What I might try doing is this. Disconnect all but one spark plug wire from
the distributor. Make certain that one remaining wire has fire by holding
the end a tiny distance from the engine block. It should jump a spark if
all is right. If it does not it is possible your engine block is not
properly grounded or else there is something not right at the distributor.
Once you are certain you have a spark reconnect this one wire to the spark
plug. Crank. If nothing move to the next spot on your distributor and the
next and the next until all for positions have been tested. If still
nothing advance or retard your distributor approximately 45 degrees and
repeat. This method will let you know with almost absolute certainty
whether it is a timing issue. If fuel is suspected try squirting ether or
WD-40 into the air intake. The tranny to frame ground strap can be a
culprit. Also the spark plug gap. It should not be too large. I do not
recall whether you have points or electronic ignition, but you should not
have to go looking there if you are getting a strong spark. Is it possible
you have an air intake leak? Hope you do get this done. Regards, John