[T2] Ever hear of De-Oxit?

Jon scintilla_22 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 13:46:32 MST 2015

De-Oxit is one of the better electrical cleaner preservatives.  I use it in many different applications.  With Radio Shack going out of business it can be purchased at considerable discount if it is still on the shelf.  Pretty much any petroleum based grease or oil, that wont damage the insulation, is a good idea to put inside a crimp joint. Try dielectric grease if you have some around. Seals the crevices from moisture and corrosion.  The force of the crimp will push the metal through the grease and cause metal to metal contact.

The Roadtreks I have looked at are nice.

jon

  On the Roadtrek (van camper) forum, they are discussing voltage drop-
this comment caught my eye- so that's why those connectors corrode the
wires inside the crimp!

Corrosion inside the connectors is particularly evil, since you don't
see it.  I coat mine with De-Oxit copper before crimping and put heat
shrink tubing on it to try to keep out moisture and road grime.  The
fine copper strands act as a wick and will wick up all sorts of
corrosion causing nasties into the connector.